Donegal Chamber Orchestra – promoting excellence in string playing
DONEGAL CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
Artistic Director: Víctor Yélamo
Leader/Director: Orsolya Szabó-Yélamo
Auditions 2017 – details of March auditions are just below the photograph
The Donegal Chamber Orchestra (DCO) is one of the ensemble groups within the Donegal Music Education Partnership. It features classical string players from across county Donegal and is dedicated to helping students and amateur musicians achieve the highest level of excellence in performance. The Donegal Chamber Orchestra gives regular performances throughout the county during the year. The Donegal Chamber Orchestra features guest conductors, guest sectional coaches, master classes, workshops and chamber music camps offered by local, national and internationally recognized professional musicians.
The Donegal Chamber Orchestra seeks new members for 2017-18.
Auditions will take place on Saturday, 25th March 2017.
Auditions are open to string players who are prepared to commit to the Donegal Chamber Orchestra’s rehearsal and concert schedule.
If you’re interested, please fill in this form and get it to us at email@example.com
Auditions are open to the following positions:
- 3 Violins (Grade 5 RIAM or equivalent or above)
- 2 Violas (Grade 5 RIAM or equivalent or above)
- 1 Double bass (Grade 3 RIAM or equivalent or above)
Age: 13 yrs. & above (adults also welcome).
Auditions will take place as follows:
Saturday, 25thof March 2017, 1:30pm
Regional Cultural Centre,
Deadline for applications: Monday, 20th March, 2017 by 12noon
Candidates are advised of their audition time by phone or by email.
Contact: Music Education Partnership for further information.
WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY FOR THE AUDITION?
- Violin: Auditionees at Grade 5 should play a 2-octave scale in C major in the 2nd position and a 2-octave scale in D major in the 3rd position. Auditionees at Grade 6 and above should play a 2-octave scale in D major in the 3rd position and a 3-octave scale in G major.
- Viola and Cello auditionees should play a 3-octave scale in C major and an in G major
- Double Bass auditionees should play a 1-octave scale in A flat and D major
- Perform a short solo work (any study or piece) or an excerpt from a solo work for your instrument which shows your skills, approximately 2 minutes long. Solos do not have to be memorized. Accompaniment is not expected; the judges want to hear only the auditioned alone.
- Sight Reading The sight reading will be an orchestral excerpt.
WHO ARE THE JUDGES?
The Audition Committee is made up of the Artistic Director and the Leader/Director of the Orchestra and a Guest Artist.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?
You should wear appropriate, comfortable clothing for playing your instrument.
WHEN ARE THE RESULTS ANNOUNCED?
Notification letters of results will be mailed following the audition. Players are either:
1. Accepted as a member of the orchestra.
2. Placed on an “alternate” list.
(Alternates are invited to join the orchestras if a vacancy occurs in their section during the year.)
- Not accepted for membership at this time.
Current members of the Donegal Chamber Orchestra do not need to be auditioned.
Membership of the orchestra however does not guarantee a permanent position or seating assignment for a player. All positions and memberships are open each year. All auditionees shall have an equal opportunity to attain membership in the ensemble, based solely upon the quality of the audition performed.
SOME GENERAL OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE WORK OF THE DONEGAL CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
- The members of the Donegal Chamber Orchestra are expected to attend each rehearsal. Members who are not attending rehearsals may lose their membership.
- The membership requires a serious commitment to the Donegal Chamber Orchestra and to the rehearsals.
- For each concert a selection of players will be chosen upon their work at the rehearsals.
WHAT ARE THE MEMBERSHIP FEES?
There is an annual fee of €100
Further information about the Donegal Chamber Orchestra
At the Donegal Chamber Orchestra (DCO) we…
- Focus on the more intimate and deeply rewarding repertoire of the Chamber Orchestra and Chamber Music.
- Encourage orchestra member participation as soloists.
- Help students to achieve the highest level of excellence in performance, not only as team players but also as individual performers.
- Strive to expose the students to the building blocks of professional musicianship through chamber music literature, as well as to open their minds to the study and practice of contemporary music and alternative styles.
- Offer the students the opportunity to experience a “conductor-less” orchestra or a principal player acting as a conductor, by performing in this format in some of our concerts.
- Feature guest conductors, guest sectional coaches, master classes, workshops and chamber music camps offered by local, national and internationally recognized professional musicians.
A little more to finish!
The Donegal Chamber Orchestra gives regular performances throughout the county during the year and previous seasons have included trips to Spain and Italy.
Since its establishment the orchestra has worked with guest artists such as Darragh Morgan, Irish-Romanian cellist Mihai Dancila, the Spanish string orchestra Concerto Malaga and composer Ian Wilson.
The Donegal Chamber Orchestra is directed by Víctor Yélamo and led by Orsolya Szabó-Yélamo and we rehearse regularly in Letterkenny.