Our junior choirs – in Carrick, Dungloe and Letterkenny
Love singing? Want to have fun learning new songs? Eager to perform in great venues? Joining one of our three junior choirs around the county is the perfect way to do all this. We have Cór Óige Shliabh Liag with Evan McGarrigle, Dungloe Junior Choir with Sara Laughlin and Letterkenny Junior Choir with Riana Lynch.
Who we are, what we do & the benefits
- Established by Donegal Music Education Partnership (DMEP), our Junior Choirs aim to encourage and develop young voices in a fun and enjoyable way while providing unique learning opportunities
- Fundamental vocal techniques and musicianship are taught through singing different styles of music including world music (eg African, Hebrew and Folk songs), pop songs, and of course contemporary and classical choral repertoire
- Group singing helps children develop greater listening skills and build confidence and self-esteem
- You will learn to sing harmony and in parts as well improve your sight-reading skills
- Being in one of DMEP choirs will give you the chance to meet other singers and make new friends with opportunities to perform in a variety of concerts and in different venues and locations
- It is a perfect stepping stone into individual voice lessons or, for older children, into our Donegal Youth Choir
- Annual Membership Fee is €100.00. The choirs rehearse once a fortnight during the school year, on Saturday mornings (Carrick, Letterkenny) and early Sunday afternoons (Dungloe)
- Join up and start singing!
Membership of our Junior Choirs is open to children aged between 7 and 13 years old and is suitable for young singers at all levels. No experience necessary!
The Junior Choirs rehearse in Carrick, Dungloe and Letterkenny. Events involving the choirs during 2016-2017 included the DMEP Christmas Concert in front of a full house at An Grianan Theatre in Letterkenny, and the ‘Big Sing’ at the Balor Theatre in Ballybofey.
Letterkenny – every fortnight during term time, Saturday mornings from 11am, conducted by Riana Lynch
Carrick – every Saturday during term time, time tbc, conducted by Evan McGarrigle
Dungloe – every fortnight during term time, Sunday afternoons, conducted by Sara Laughlin.
You can download the application here or contact the office for more info or help.